Victoria Walmer & District War Memorial Hospital
BESPOKE YELLOW HANDRAILS & A WIDE PLATFORM
Patients who have been exposed to toxic chemicals are brought to the hospital’s medical assessment unit (MAU).
Patients must sit in a pool of water to allow the chemicals to be washed off.
This is a control measure taken to prevent and limit chemical exposure to other personnel.
A wide platform area to allow a temporary pool to be erected.
The client decided against a wooden ramp due to its ability to rot from water exposure.
The metal Rapid Ramp platform was ideal as it has small holes to allow water to drain through, and its design prevents puddles forming.
The platform is also galvanised. Galvanising is a process where a protective coating of zinc is applied to prevent rusting and moss growth.
A ramp, step units and a drain hatch were all required too.
The client requested a bespoke yellow handrail to aid visually impaired users.
Yellow is one of the easiest colours to see because of its ability to reflect light.
The installation was completed within ten days. Extra time was given to the manufacturing and fitting of the bespoke ramp handrail.
The team were installing over a grassed surface; therefore, weed membrane was rolled over, and pea beach (aka minute stones) was evenly distributed above. The ramp feet and pad stones were then concealed beneath.
The system has a 1:20 gradient and gate/step units for able-bodied users
- Infill Handrail - this product prevents users from climbing or falling through gaps.
- Yellow Tread - this is a safety feature designed to help those with impaired vision identify the nose of the ramp. Additionally, it helps users distinguish any level changes.
- Trombone Ends - these are added to the ends of a Rapid Ramp to prevent clothes catching.
- Mesh Platform - the self-draining mesh allows water to pass through rather than collect on the surface.
- Rest Platform – a rest platform at 5 metres is required to allow the user to pause.
- 1100mm High Rail – these handrails attach to any level sections.
- Continuous Handrail - this handrail system ensures users always have support to hold onto.
EXTRA FEATURES INCLUDED:
- Fully Compliant Gate & Step Units - access for able-bodied users.
- Access Hatch - a hatch opens, allowing a person access to the underground services.