St James's Church, London
A GALVANISED STEEL RAMP FOR THE LISTED CHURCH BUILDING
A new metal ramp to replace the old rusting structure.
The Rapid Ramp System is manufactured from rustproof galvanised steel and was concluded to be the best substitute.
Galvanising is a process where a protective coating of zinc is applied to prevent rusting and moss growth.
The Rapid Ramp was installed in less than a day.
The platform is 1500mm wide, parallel to the door width, providing appropriate space for all wheelchair types.
It also has a 1:15 gradient and was designed with space for the swing doors to open fully.
Rubber tiles were added underneath the ramp feet to protect the church’s stone slabs.
The ramp required no ground or wall fixings. Once the components are bolted together, the weight of the system itself keeps it neatly in place.
Throughout the process, we were happy to consult with the appropriate conservation and planning authorities.
- Mesh Platform - self-draining mesh allows water to pass through rather than collect on the surface.
- Trombone Ends - these are added to the ends of a Rapid Ramp to prevent clothes catching.
- Telescopic Legs - these can be adjusted to accommodate threshold heights.
- Standard Handrail - this handrail system ensures users always have support to hold onto.
- Standard Colour Black - ramps are powder-coated black to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint.