Olympia Grand, London
Olympia Grand is Olympia London's largest event space. It is famous for its stunning Victorian architecture, magnificent galleries, and ornate barrel-vaulted roof.
Installation of a ramp from the Grand Hall entrance.
This entrance was temporarily reinstated as events continued to be held throughout the duration of construction works.
The option of a lift was explored but concluded unsuitable for the project's needs due to the diverse range of traffic requiring access.
Traffic included users in wheelchairs, mobility scooters, powerchairs and prams. Plus, those with trollies and wheeled event equipment.
As this was a large compliant ramp with several turns, a week was allocated for construction.
The system includes a compliant 1:15 gradient, and to ensure rigidity under platform legs, cross bracing was achieved using longer-length tubes.
- Infill Handrail - this product prevents users from climbing or falling through gaps.
- Yellow Tread - this is a safety feature designed to help those with impaired vision identify the nose of the ramp and any level changes.
- Trombone Ends - these are added to the ends of a Rapid Ramp to prevent clothes catching.
- Mesh Platform - the self-draining mesh allows water to pass through rather than collect on the surface.
- Continuous Handrail - this handrail system ensures users always have support to hold onto.
- Standard colour: Black - Ramps are powder coated black to create a durable finish that is tougher than conventional paint.