Medical Imaging Unit, Birmingham University
A SCANNING UNIT FOR ATHLETES
An international sporting event was held in Birmingham with the Athletes Village hosted at the University.
A sustainable ramp suitable for repeated use.
The Rapid Ramp System was ideal, being 100% recyclable and reusable, reducing waste and maximizing the lifetime value of the product. A one-use product, such as timber, does not offer this benefit.
During the games, the ramp provided wheelchair access to the medical imaging unit within the Athletes Village.
The unit benefited many competitors.
The temporary ramp with steps was installed over concrete within the university carpark and only took a few hours to complete.
The system included platforms with a safe loading capacity of 1,000kgs to safely support different types of traffic, e.g., pedestrians, trolleys, hospital beds and heavy medical equipment.
All Rapid Ramp Systems are ideal for outdoor use, being constructed from rustproof galvanised steel.
Galvanising is a process where a protective coating of zinc is applied to prevent rusting and moss growth.
Once the games were complete, the system was dismantled and components were reused in other rental projects.
- Infill Handrail - This product prevents users from climbing or falling through gaps.
- Yellow Tread - This is a safety feature designed to help those with impaired vision identify the nose of the ramp and any level changes.
- Trombone Ends - These are added to the ends of a Rapid Ramp to prevent clothes catching.
- Mesh Platform - The self-draining mesh allows water to pass through rather than collect on the surface.
- Continuous Handrail - This handrail system ensures users always have support to hold onto.
- Standard colour: Black - Ramps are powder coated black to create a durable finish that is tougher than conventional paint.
EXTRA FEATURE INCLUDED:
- Compliant Step Unit - An ideal addition to any ramp installation, providing the access needed for able-bodied users. They can also be stand-alone units, independent of the Rapid Ramp System.