Kettering General Hospital
A WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE TEMPORARY HOSPITAL WARD IN DOUBLE QUICK TIME
BACKGROUND & REQUIREMENT:
During the current pandemic of COVID-19, a temporary hospital ward was needed urgently to provide space for short-stay patients.
DDA access was achieved with our fully compliant ramps and steps from all three exits.
All ramps and steps were quoted, supplied (from stock), and installed within a three-week rapid turnaround time!
The systems are all fully compliant, each with a 1:20 gradient.
- Yellow Tread - this is a safety feature designed to help those with impaired vision identify the nose of the ramp or step. Additionally, it helps users distinguish any level changes.
- Infill Handrail - if the ramp height exceeds 380mm, Infill handrail is a requirement to prevent users from climbing or falling through gaps.
- 1100mm High Rail - 1100mm handrails are attached to any level sections.
- Mesh Platform – a self-draining mesh platform allows water to pass through rather than puddle on the surface and potentially freeze. Minimum width: 1500mm.
- Rest Platform - a rest platform at 5 metres is required to allow the user to pause.
- Trombone Ends - these are added to the ends of a Rapid Ramp to prevent clothes catching.
- Standard Continuous Handrail - this handrail system ensures the users always have support to hold onto. These are coated with thermosetting powder to provide a non-conductive, non-slip and scratch resistant surface.
EXTRA FEATURE INCLUDED:
- Fully Compliant Step Unit - access for able-bodied users.
RAMPS & STEPS FOR TEMPORARY HOSPITALS
With the COVID-19 threat ever more increasing, it is essential that hospitals can rely on professional suppliers, who will respond quickly to urgent NHS requirements.
We are prioritising NHS installations and will continue to offer modular systems, that are available from stock with fast service and construction.
Like temporary modular hospitals, our ramp & steps are prefabricated systems, carrying benefits including:
- A fast construction time - Ramp installations are typically completed within a 1 to 2-day turnaround time. Components are manufactured and stored in-house.
- Easy to remove – Once no required, ramps can be disassembled within a few hours.
- Design and build flexibility - Ramps can be re-designed and re-configured to suit different sized areas.
- Cost-effective – Our modular ramp has a life span of over 25 years with no maintenance costs.
- Environmental benefits – Ramp components can be reused under our ramp recycling scheme.
Everybody who was involved with the project at Kettering went more than the extra mile to achieve the finished product and I would like to add my sincere thanks to one and all of you, it really was a job well done.