Hafan, Modular Housing Scheme Development
RAMPS FOR AN AWARD-WINNING HOUSING SCHEME
Supply & Install
This was an award-winning modular housing scheme built on the site of a former gasworks in Grangetown, which the council acquired in 2020.
The development consisted of 48 modular flats for families experiencing homelessness, a community facility building and a separate office for staff to provide on-site support to residents.
The fabrication, supply, delivery, and installation of sustainable modular ramps.
Rapid Ramps and steps are manufactured from fully galvanised steel components which are 100% recyclable and reusable, reducing waste and maximizing the lifetime value of the products.
Products were required within a quick turnaround time and have the capability to be moved to other locations across the city in the future if necessary.
Rapid Ramp was ideal, as products have a completely modular design with interchangeable prefabricated sections that are easily assembled, disassembled, and reconfigured to suit different location specifics.
Installation was completed within two weeks.
Seven modular ramps in total were designed, manufactured, and installed. Two of those provide access from fire exit doors.
Unlike wooden ramps, which will burn if exposed to fire, Rapid Ramp products are made from fire-resistant steel, making them ideal for access from fire exits.
All systems were needed onsite within a quick turnaround time, which was more than achievable as components were available from stock and transported straight from our warehouse to the site. Plus, like a Meccano kit, ramp components are prefabricated sections that quickly fitted together.
These factors helped us achieve a shorter lead time than a traditional material would have granted such as concrete, a solution that requires drying time.
Plus, we do not rely on oversea manufacturing; all Rapid Ramp products are made in Britain.
All systems comply with Part K and M of the Building Regulations.
- Infill Handrail - this product prevents users from climbing or falling through gaps.
- Yellow Tread - this is a safety feature designed to help those with impaired vision identify the nose of the ramp and level changes.
- Trombone Ends - these are added to the ends of a Rapid Ramp to prevent clothes catching.
- Mesh Platform - the self-draining mesh allows water to pass through rather than collect on the surface.
- Continuous Handrail - this handrail system ensures users always have support to hold onto.
- Standard Colour: Black - Ramps are powder coated black to create a durable finish that is tougher than conventional paint.
EXTRA FEATURE INCLUDED:
- Compliant Step Unit - an ideal addition to any ramp installation, providing the access needed for able-bodied users. They can also be stand-alone units, independent of the Rapid Ramp System.
- Standard Underside Mesh - this is designed to prevent users from gaining access to the underneath of the ramp.
Nobody wants to be living in temporary accommodation but we’ve had some great feedback from the families staying at the centre, both in terms of quality of the flats and the support they receive from our staff there. And, of course, the beauty of this type of build means we can move the units to other locations across the city in the future, if necessary.
Cabinet Member for Housing and Communities