Replacing Wooden Steps, Rail Maintenance Depot
Supply & Install
A new prefabricated accommodation hub had been built at the station’s maintenance depot.
A steel ramp and steps to replace the current slippery wooden steps.
Unlike wood, our steel systems are slip-resistant, even in wet weather conditions. Plus, metal does not rot or burn if exposed to fire.
The system was installed within a day by two Rapid Ramp fitters.
It included the GRP walkway surface. The product is slip-resistant and will continue to perform in all weather conditions. It is available in various colours and remains popular with nurseries, schools, and public facilities.
- Mesh Platform - the self-draining mesh allows water to pass through rather than collect on the surface.
- Trombone Ends - these are added to the ends of a Rapid Ramp to prevent clothes catching.
- Standard Handrail - this handrail system ensures users always have support to hold onto.
- Powder Coated Finish – Rails are coated with thermosetting powder to provide a non-conductive, non-slip and scratch resistant surface.
- Telescopic Legs - these can be adjusted to accommodate different threshold heights.
EXTRA FEATURES INCLUDED:
- Infill Handrail - this product prevents users from climbing or falling through gaps.
- Yellow Tread - this is a safety feature designed to help those with impaired vision identify the nose of the ramp and helps users distinguish any level changes.
- GRP Walkway Surface - The product is slip-resistant and will continue to perform in all weather conditions.
- Step Unit with Infill Handrail - an ideal addition to any ramp installation, providing the access needed for able-bodied users. They can also be stand-alone units, independent of the Rapid Ramp System.
WOOD VS STEEL
Unlike wooden products, steel is a fire-resistant material and will typically not burn and melt at temperatures typically encountered in building fires.
Unfortunately, when wood will burn if exposed to fire and in wet weather, it will rot and experience moss growth.
The self-draining mesh on the Rapid Ramp Systems allows water to pass through, so moss has nothing to feed on.
Also, the mesh is manufactured from galvanised steel. Galvanising is a process where a protective coating of zinc is applied to prevent rusting.