Ramp Design For The Visually Impaired, Cathays High School
Access to the newly built classroom block.
The ramp had to be fully DDA compliant and include a contrasting yellow surface to assist partially sighted pupils.
The ramp was fitted with our yellow rubber crumb surface. Yellow is one of the easiest colours to see because of its ability to reflect light.
All step edges were marked with yellow tread strips to indicate a change of level.
Walkways surfaces included a grey version of the rubber crumb surface.
We had only a few weeks before the start of the new school year to complete the project; however, the team managed to finish the installation within a week and a half.
Throughout the installation, fitters maintained high work standards and followed the government's latest Covid-19 guidelines.
- Infill Handrail - this product prevents users from climbing or falling through gaps.
- Yellow Tread - this is a safety feature designed to help those with impaired vision identify the nose of the ramp. Additionally, it helps users distinguish any level changes.
- Trombone Ends - these are added to the ends of a Rapid Ramp to prevent clothes catching.
- Mesh Platform - this self-draining mesh platform allows water to pass through rather than puddle on the surface and potentially freeze.
- Rest Platform – a rest platform at 5 metres is required to allow the user to pause.
- 1100mm High Rail – these handrails attach to any level sections.
- Continuous Handrail - this handrail system ensures users always have support to hold onto.
EXTRA FEATURE INCLUDED:
- Fully Compliant Step Units - an ideal addition to any ramp installation, providing the access needed for able-bodied users. They can also be stand-alone units, independent of the Rapid Ramp System.
- Safetread Rubber Crumb Surface - this is a soft, slip-resistant surface that reduces the impact of falls. The product is made from the same materials used in soft play areas and is ideal for nurseries, schools, and public facilities. Plus, it is available in a range of colours and will continue to perform in all weather conditions.